Make the SeasonBright!
As Christmas is quickly approaching, the needs in the community are greater than ever. Barry County is fortunate to have many people in our community who are eager and able to support, volunteer and provide assistance, but it’s not always clear what help is needed. The “Christmas Wish List” provides a way for individuals to personalize gifts for agencies in our community that serve residents throughout Barry County. While many of the agencies have listed “items” they would like to receive, others are in need of volunteers. Volunteers play a vital role in the work that area agencies do and can make a tremendous difference in the lives of those they assist.
For more information contact Morgan Johnson at the Barry County United Way Volunteer Center at 269-945-4010. “Christmas Wish List” items can be dropped off at the local agency that is requesting the item or can be brought to the Barry County United Way Volunteer Center at 231 S. Broadway in Hastings for distribution.
The “Christmas Wish List” follows:
- The Barry Conservation District promotes responsible natural resource and land-use management for present and future operations.
- 4WD truck for invasive species strike team – Good condition
- UTV for habitat work
Contact Sarah Nelson, 269-908-4136
Barry County Commission on Aging provides direct services, advocacy and information/assistance to help those age 60 and up and their caregivers, to remain independent and safe in the community.
- Cleaning supplies – Lysol, dish soap, laundry detergent
- Size large adult pull up style briefs
- Cat & dog treats for Meals on Wheels routes
- Men’s & Ladies fleece jackets – Size M, L
- Bird Seed
- Small Paper plates
- BINGO prizes
- Sugar Free Candy
Contact Tammy Pennington, 269-948-4856
Barry County DHHS provides assistance with Medicaid, food assistance, utility assistance, child care and other basic needs. They also provide case management for children in Foster Care and vulnerable adults.
- Gas cards
- Personal hygiene items
- Gifts cards for families in need
Contact Jennifer Eastman, 269-251-9581
Barry County Humane Society is dedicated to the prevention of cruelty and promotion of humane treatment of animals in Barry County.
- Animal related crafts
- Monetary donations
- Lysol spray, wipes, paper towel
Contact Pattie Richardson, 269-721-3767
Barry County Substance Abuse Task Force is the county coalition working to prevent, reduce and address substance abuse issues in our community. The Youth Leadership workgroup hosts an annual youth leadership summit and other youth-led events to promote positive youth involvement.
- Sponsorship of $2,000-5,000 for 2019 Youth Leadership Summit
- Lunch sponsorship ($1,000) for 2019 Summit
- Speak stipend/fees ($1,500-2,000) for 2019 Summit
- Free youth movie night sponsorship ($750-1,000)
Contact Liz Lenz, 269-948-4200
The Barry County United Way & Volunteer Center is improving lives by mobilizing the caring power of Barry County communities. Programs include: information & referral, Fresh Food Initiative, homeless prevention, Volunteer Center, Veteran’s Affairs, and the Toys for Barry County Kids Christmas Program.
- NEW toys for any age for the Toys for Barry County Kids program
- Wrapping paper
- Board games for Christmas program
Contact Morgan Johnson, 269-945-4010
Delton Kellogg Middle School houses grades 5-8 in a small rural district with tight resources.
- Bean bag chairs
- Classroom supplies: dry erase markers, colored pencils, highlighters, glue sticks, double sided tape, magic erasers, pencils, pens, sticky notes
- Portable Vises
- PVC ½ in and connectors
- Large stock tank for remote operated vehicle testing
- YA sets of books
- Healthy snacks
- $15 gift cards for staff incentives
Contact April Margaritis, 269-330-5439
Delton Kellogg High School
- Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, cleaning supplies, soap
- Pencils, pens, spiral paper, colored paper, tape, rulers, dry erase markers
- Batteries (AA, AAA, 9v)
Contact Lucas Trierweiler, 269-623-1525
Family Support Center of Barry County works to eliminate and prevent all forms of child abuse and neglect through awareness, advocacy and education by assisting parents who struggle, providing support and education about safe sleep for infants, Kinship support and training for mandated reporters.
- Laminating machine with supplies
- Paper shredder
- Diapers size 3,4,5,6, 2-3T, 3-4T and 4-5T
- Storage Shelves
Contact Kim Metzger, 269-945-5439
Gilmore Car Museum is the largest automotive museum in the country, with over 400 vehicles on a 90-acre campus. As a 501(c)3 organization, donation and volunteer hours support operations, maintenance and enhance the visitor experience.
- Donations for the Bus Fund, to transport area students for free field trips
- Donations for Garage Works youth mentoring
- Volunteers: gardening, grounds work, Garage Works mentoring program on Tuesday/Thursday evenings
- 2 Shop vacs, 2 leaf blowers
- Whiteboard, flat screen TV
- Enclosed trailer to transport small vehicles to educational programs at community events and schools.
Contact Stacie Longwell Sadowski, 269-953-9036
Green Gables Haven is Barry County’s only domestic violence shelter and provides emergency shelter to women and children. GGH also provides food, personal hygiene items, legal advocacy and counseling support to its clients.
- Toilet paper, paper towel, paper plates
- Laundry soap, Lysol wipes, floor cleaner, dryer sheets, toilet-bowl cleaner, bleach
- $10 Gas cards, grocery cards
- Plastic food storage containers, zip loc bags
Contact Christy at 269-945-4777
Habitat for Humanity Barry County is a Christian non-profit that brings people together to build homes for low-income families in need of safe and affordable housing. HFH also operates a ReStore as a continual fundraiser for their home-building mission.
- Building to move ReStore and offices to
- Down payment to buy a building
- Volunteers to help sort and move
- Members for the Board of Directors
Contact Cindy Preston, 269-948-9939
Hope Network Transportation service of Barry County provides rides to Medical and Dental appointments within a 45-mile radius of downtown Hastings. This no-cost based service is run entirely by volunteers with no paid staff.
- Volunteers – Drivers and office help
- Monetary donations
- Transit tickets
Contact Judith Loofboro, 269-331-6007
Northeastern Elementary is 1 of 4 elementary schools in Hastings.
- Classroom set of wobble stools (25 stools)
- Painting of outdated cafeteria
- Sounds panels for cafeteria
- Painting of library room and bathrooms with positive statements/quotes
Contact Eric Heide, 269-948-4421
Pierce Cedar Creek Institute is an environmental education center with a mission to inspire appreciation and stewardship of our environment. PCCI serves area k-12 schools, the community, environmental professionals and works with 14 colleges and universities.
- Dry erase markets
- Colored pencils
- Glue sticks
- Sharpie markers
Contact Sara Syswerda, 269-721-4434
Putnam District Library is located in Nashville and serves the townships of Castleton, Maple Grove and Assyria. The library serves patrons by providing trendy books, internet access and engaging programs as well as a large variety of other free services.
- Bluetooth speaker, paper cutter, die cutting machine (Cricut, Silhoutte)
- Monetary donations to update seating in library and for “Wishlist” projects
Contact Savannah Shilton, 517-852-9723
Spectrum Health Pennock is located in Hastings and is a hospital that has been present in the community for many years.
- Child coloring books and crayons
- Barry County Transit passes
- Diapers larger than newborn
Contact Janine Dalman, 269-945-3651
The Shack is a free clothing outreach that is open to everyone regardless of residency or income (located in Delton).
- Clean and gently used children’s coats, boots and gloves
- NEW children’s underwear
- Volunteers to help during open ours or to transport items to missions/shelters
- Monetary donations to help pay their monthly utility bill
- Volunteer grant writer
Contact Kathy Forsyth, 269-207-2515
Thornapple Manor is a person-centered long-term care facility that also offers skilled nursing, dementia care and rehabilitation in Hastings.
- Bird seed, bird feeders
- 300-piece puzzles (larger pieces), large print novels, travel/nature/animal DVD’s, large print word search/crossword, portable CD/radios, small size photo albums
- 2 Keurig coffee machines
- Outdoor ceiling fan
- Portable outdoor fire pit, garden décor, holiday inflatable blow ups, home décor for resident rooms
- Industrial laminator
- Hand lotion
Contact Myra Dayus, 269-945-2407
YMCA of Barry County’s mission is to provide opportunities for all individuals and families to participate in quality activities and programs that promote youth development, healthy living and social responsibility consistent with Christian values.
- Volunteer groups in March, April and May
- Mountain bike storage racks
- Life jackets – youth and adult
- Batteries (AA, AAA)
- Backpack leaf blower
Contact Jon Sporer, 269-945-4574